Spring 2018 | CUNY Graduate Center | IDS 70100: Introduction to Queer Studies

Uncategorized

OER Queer Syllabus Materials (Melanie Chin)

First, I searched for LGBT topics and using keywords that would trigger a CUNY OneSearch.  After speaking with a librarian at the public library, I noticed it was hard to steer a search in the right direction.  The librarian I spoke to knew nothing of the term OER.  Then, I chatted with a Hunter College librarian and talked about licensing.  He explained “OER’s are almost always password protected for copyright reasons and are tied to a specific course and instructor”.   The last method that I used was referring back to my undergrad LGBT syllabus and many articles that I have previously read with many annotations. 

1. Harris-Perry, Melissa – MHP: The struggle continues for LGBT rights
Transnational LGBT pride month (June) commemoration. States discriminating against same-sex marriages.

2. Out History
Website of that takes on LGBT history through different lenses.

3. 2/23/18 Film Screening – Out, Loud and Proud
65th Street between Madison and Park
2017 CNN screening on American LGBT history.  A discussion will be held after the screening by the moderator.  RSVP if going.

4. Johnson, E. Patrick – Quare’ Studies, or (Almost) Everything I Know About Queer Studies I learned from My Grandmother
A black southern grandmother and grandson talking about recognizing queerness.  Grandson shows grandmother his closet.  Showing the closet is his way of coming out and telling her that he is “quare”.

A graphic novel/autobiography about a young woman learning about her sexuality and coming out at 19.  Her father had extra marital affairs with hired help and his wife was always aware.  The mother asks for a divorce and two weeks later the father committed suicide.

6. Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art
26 Wooster Street, New York 
Free admission

7. Sedgwick, Eve Kosofsky – Epistemology of the Closet, Chapter 1
Limiting homosexuality is too simple.

8. Park, Pauline – LGBT Rights As Human Rights
LGBT rights are civil rights in the U.S. and internationally it is considered a human right.  Civil rights protects people against discrimination.  Activist groups must actively pursue social justice and change.

9. Act Up – documentary
Movement to end AIDS.

10. Tim Crane – Am I just a Brain?
An argument between the brain functions and the human body.

11. Sedgwick, Eve Kosofsky – Queer and Now
The contradiction is inherent in representing homosexuality as the property of a distinct minority population and a sexual desire that potentially marks everyone.  Thinking about the gendering of homosexual desire in both transitive and separatist terms.

12. Warner, Michael – Queer and Then?
The beginnings of queer theory, its current permutations, and its continuing potential.

13. Anonymous – Queers Read This
A queer collective manifesto distributed at the 1990 NYC pride march who hate straight people.

14. Echols, Alice – Daring to be Bad:  Radical Feminism In America (1967-1975)(book)
Second wave feminism and health care focus organizations during the height of the AIDS epidemic.

15. Pascoe, C.J. – Dude You’re A Fag
Fictional book about a teenage males gay performance in high school.

16. Gibson, Michelle, A., Alexander, Jonathan, Meem, Deborah – Finding Out – An Introduction to LGBT Studies (textbook)

17. Weil, Elizabeth – What if It’s (Sort of) a Boy and (Sort of) a Girl?
Intersex

18.  Hall, Radclyffe –  The Well of Loneliness
First lesbian novel.