Spring 2018 | CUNY Graduate Center | IDS 70100: Introduction to Queer Studies

Uncategorized

Queer studies courses/ courses infused with queer themes or theory (Francesca)

Hi everyone,

As I think about creating a course syllabus,  I’m interested in knowing what experiences people have had in the past, specifically undergraduate courses we’ve taken that were explicitly or subtly related to queer studies. My college had a SWAG department (Study of Women And Gender- you can tell they were really proud of that acronym!) but I didn’t realize I was interested in queer theory or gender studies until my senior year, so I actually didn’t take any courses in that discipline. 

I’m trying to reflect on courses I may have taken which were not explicitly related to Gay and Lesbian Studies, Queer Studies, or Gender Studies, but which touched on some similar themes. The only one that comes to mind is Psychology of Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood, which treated the subject matter with a modernist lens of quantifiable minority groups who are conceptualized as at risk teens… 

I was wondering if the class would like to make an informal list of any undergraduate classes we had that relate to this project, especially for people who attended CUNY colleges. The list could include SWAG courses (and related fields), classes which were “queer friendly”, or classes which could lend themselves easily to queer studies themes but mysteriously dropped the ball and were not marketed as such, or carried out with an intersectional framework.   

Feel free to leave any examples of classes you took in the comments section, or by directly editing this post.